26 May 2010

Garden One

May 2010 Started a plot in the hole in the sidewalk, e side of street. Dug it up, removed trash (not much). Did find that there was a layer of potting soil a few inches deep, and tried to mix it much deeper. The rest of the soil is very sandy/gravelly. I planted a P-22 apple rootstock, Jostaberry cutting, elephant garlic, chives, salad burnet, forget-me-nots, rose campion (probably the white variety), and alpine strawberry. I left a bit of chickweed, to reseed as a rainy-season annual. There is room for a Stella de Oro re-blooming daylily, a sorrel, and some kale and swiss chard.



May 2010 Someone dug up the chives and stole them. And the P-22 didn’t make it. Even though I planted it in the middle of a rainy day, I must not have checked the forecast, and we got lots of sun for a bit. The salad burnet is just barely making it. The elephant garlic looks forlorn, but will survive.


May 26, 2010 The jostaberry feels very firmly anchored, and is sending up a new sprout. Happiness! There is a lush crop of weeds, which I shall pull. I also have a kale start, and a swiss chard start to transplant there. As well as more chives. I’m going to wait a bit to replace the P-22, as I want to make sure that the replacement is firmly rooted. It may possibly have to wait until fall rains. :-(


No comments:

Post a Comment