25 May 2010

Garden One

Two weeks ago, I started my first Guerilla Gardening project. In a small square hole in the sidewalk, I planted an offshoot of my P-22 apple rootstock (to be grafted upon later), jostaberry, chives, elephant garlic, forget-me-nots, and salad burnet. I left room for a sorrel, and I left a bit of chickweed, to be a winter annual. Forlorn-ness, as a bicycle has been parked upon it once, and the chives were simply stolen. I will replant them, but hope to add a sign, saying that this is a food garden, and people are welcome to harvest, but to please leave plants themselves behind. I really want to start food gardening in the planters and sidewalk holes of the city I live near to. I have lots of food plants growing on my own acres, and can propagate more, to put in the city. I've just realized that the small trees I am finding near the plum tree, are offshoots from the rootstock, and I can graft on to them. I've got a four-in-one plum tree of my own to provide scionwood. I'm making more P-22 apple rootstocks, as they are a very dwarfing variety, and then my friend B and myself, can graft apples on to those.

No comments:

Post a Comment